Friday, January 8, 2016

Thursday and Friday (January 7 & 8, 2016)

Well, thankfully I changed the day on the previous posts (Guess I got confused what day it was--did you notice?).

Any way...
I cannot remember much about Thursday. The two photos I have are from the end of the day wrap up we started. I ask the kids to think and then share something positive of the day, and then something they want to do better tomorrow.

These photos are of the kids during this time, and the list we created.



Today...

During reading, we reviewed those tricky soft c and g words, by playing a fun "swat" game. There were no prizes, no running, but the smiles told me that they enjoyed it.



I also listened to more kids individually (going to be updating groups soon and really focussing on the skills needed), and the rest worked on their centers. The kids rocked their learning and allowed me to work with individuals. It was heaven. Even the other adult in the room commented about how wonderfully the kids worked.




We wrapped up folk tales with a "newfangled" version of Little Red Riding Hood. So many predictions and cause/effect scenarios.

Mr. C. (our principal) has challenged all the kids in the school to monitor their voices at lunch (with the help of the grown ups). There is a chart that keeps track of the green days (good) and today our class got our second green (out of two tries!!!). Pretty excellent, I think!!!

I got a little furclempt at the beginning of math. In fact, I had to stop and ask for a tissue to wipe my eyes. Here's why...


The number 43 was written on the board, and one sweet friend said, "hey, that has 4 tens and 3 ones." OH MY!!! If every single first grader could do that by May for any number to 99 (and for some to 999), I will be super-de-duper ecstatic!!!

When I was put back together again, they ROCKED the measurement papers using centimeter cubes. Basically, I could have gone out for a chai tea, because not a soul needed my help. I felt useless, but happy. Again.






We ended our day (and week) together by celebrating a birthday, which is always fun. Singing, writing letters and enjoying a snack.

Here's to a warm and sunny weekend!!! (Wishful thinking...)

No comments:

Post a Comment