Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

The rain and cold kept us inside all day, but the kids were on fire learning!!!

The fabulous firsties are rock stars with metacognition (thinking about thinking, in the case: thinking about their reading thinking).

What a big word. 

I've not used that word with them, but maybe tomorrow I will. 

What are they thinking about? Cause and effect in folktales. Today I read 2 stories and they helped tell me causes and effects. If they can do this, that means understanding, and that makes me happy!!!

I also taught the soft c. Like in mice and place. More great understanding, reading and spelling. 

We even tried adding suffix ing to words ending in e. (Drop the e, then add the suffix.) I am amazed at their sponge brains--they want to know everything!!!

So, they will keep me busy for sure. 

I'm going to be firm with letter formation and spend time daily on that as well as number writing. Today was so much better than yesterday. 

Measurement. Today we put three objects in order shortest to longest (again--almost too easy for them). 

Then we discussed just using anyone's foot and the trouble it may cause, so that brought out rulers. More work on that in the next days. 

We ended the day with a K-1 Cloverbuds meeting. Kids were mixed with other classes and went to only one teacher. Maybe ask your child which teacher they had and what they did. We will do this every Wednesday. 

I'm so looking forward to more work tomorrow in these great skills. 

No comments:

Post a Comment