Friday, January 6, 2017

Friday, January 6, 2017

Oh my, another day full of learning!

One of my favorite ways to teach is to give just enough information to the students and then they figure out the new thing. I love to do this especially with our phonics lessons. It is almost like a tease--can you use what you already know and apply it to the new thing that I am presenting today?

They did this today as they learned combination or. Orty Orsen stopped in and we had fun reading and spelling with his sound.


Our kindness lesson today was sorting things we say into "kind" or "unkind." It was a great lesson for all of us, because sometimes we say things that we do not know are unkind or could be unkind.


The rhyming lesson was split into a boy game and a girl game (next week they will have the opportunity to do the other game). The boys played Quiz-Quiz-Trade (and I heard this--I LOVE this game!), and the girls matched rhyming pictures.




We had a couple of extra minutes before lunch, so I taught the kids how to complete a "Sticker Story." They choose a sticker, and then finish the picture. Next they write a sentence (or more) about the picture. When they were finished I had them read it to me, and I was impressed. No pictures, but the papers will come home next week.

In math we counted to 100 by ones and tens, practiced numeral flashcards really fast, and then compared numbers using the words _____ is LESS than ____.

Reading intervention was reading words and figuring out ending sounds, and off to specials (Library to check out new books and PE--thank goodness for a gym to run in since we had 2 inside recesses today).

When they came back some kids worked with numbers again and others worked with Cuissenaire rods. Today was an exploration day, and next week we will dig deeper into math with the rods. I LOVE the rods, because it is a very hands on way to work with numbers.





Have a wonderful weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment