Monday, January 9, 2017

Monday, January 9, 2017

What can I say? It was another busy and fulfilling day!!!

I read over the weekend an article that was supportive of teaching kindergartners how to read by learning sounds and putting them into words, and not all of the reading to be done by sight (they called it picture reading--not that it is a picture, but it reminds me of when my then 3-year-old could "read" McDonald's, Blockbuster, Dillons).

Reflecting on that article I was so tremendously happy that these wonderful Kinders have a strong foundation of reading/sounds. They proved it by reading color words. Color words are often taught as sight words, but I did not do that at the beginning of the year. So, I pulled the color word flashcards out, and by golly, the kids read them! They could because they know so much about sounds and how the sounds work within words. The reading wasn't fast, but, all I cared about was that they knew the sounds, and knew how to blend them together into a word. Such a success!!!

Moving on...

The directed drawing was of a horn. And look at some of the sentences I got!



More rhyming activities.


A drawing/writing paper that went along with the book I read called An Orange in January.



And math. Comparing numbers. Which is more? Which is less?



We had a tiny celebration of a classmate that had his birthday yesterday, and learned that we will be getting another classmate on Wednesday. We are already excited to meet him, show him around, and help him with our school expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment