Monday, December 12, 2016

Monday, December 12, 2016

Happy Monday! We had a full day of learning and being kind.

We began by learning a new sound. This is a tricky one, because there are 3 ways to spell the sound. I taught the kids to read all three ways, but to spell,  just use one. What sound are we talking about...


Er is the way I told them to spell, and the first grade teachers can teach rules for when to use the other spellings.

After science we talked about ways of being kind that do not cost money (read a book to someone, let my mom take a nap, etc) and added an idea to our mindful book.

The new high frequency word is "my." And we are reading books about growing plants. It may seem silly to read about it now, but this gives us plenty of time to learn and be ready to grow something in the spring! The vocabulary words for the week are: require (what does a plant require?) and seed.

We reviewed noun, verb, adjective, and I introduced pronouns. I do not expect the kids to master these concepts, but my goal is to give them a solid foundation so that in future grades they will master the parts of speech.


Math was SUPER fun. We set the table for a pretzel party. Each student needed a plate, napkin, spoon, and cup, but I didn't pass out the correct number. This helped us talk about needing more, having too much and how much more is needed.


I finished up some testing for the report card and the kids had an opportunity to write or draw. I was the fortunate recipient to an awesome book and several notes.

Looking forward to a lovely day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment