Thursday, August 20, 2015

Thursday, August 20, 2015

The highlight of the day is definitely earning enough beads to have a party tomorrow. If it's not too much fun, I'll remember to snap a photo or two...

With cards I taught the kids to play Top It. (Think war from my youth.) That was a no brainer for them, they all can figure out who had more and do it quickly.



More practice Reading to Self. Today they made 6.5 minutes. Let's celebrate that. When they can work for about 15 minutes, I will start pulling small groups to give specific reading instruction. That is what I'm looking forward to. I wish that could happen sooner. We continued our discovery and practice of open and closed syllables for reading.


I snuck a peek in at science today with Mrs. Smith. She had the busiest kids making rafts for pennies. I wanted to stay and engineer my own raft.

After lunch we had our first birthday celebration of the year. Again, that took twice as long as I expected. I teach the kids a great song called "On the Day You Were Born" by Red Grammar. By the end of the year they are pros at that song. Then the birthday kid passes out the treat (if there are any) while the rest create a letter for the birthday child. Look for that to come home around the birthday.

During math we began to explore combinations that make 6 using 2-colored disks. As well as adding one to a number.


Watching the kids at recess is a joy for me. They are carefree, creative and learn so many skills. Today they watched some maintenance guys fix our "bus."



No comments:

Post a Comment