Monday, August 31, 2015

Last Day of August, 2015

This has been a GREAT day. The cube chairs were FULLY funded. In record time. Thanks to everyone for getting the word out and for making donations. I am so excited!!!

Back to school...

Lips the Fish arrived at school today. He is Stretchy the Snake's friend. Lips says "get your lips ready" and then use Stretchy. The kids are getting it. I am really able to see who know their sounds and who needs more practice.


I know that in Kansas (and probably more of the USA) kids are "encouraged" to read by the end of Kindergarten. For some kids that is just unrealistic. I see so many kids blossom into readers in First grade, and others need more time. If they need more time, I will add more instruction and more time to read/practice. I will not let them flounder (I hope), but provide assistance to help them see the reader they are.

Back to school...

So, reading was great today. Some kids got to read to the toy they brought in because of the bead party. And everyone is enjoying the centers I have around the room. The goal is NOT busy work. Centers are engaging ways to practice reading or spelling. Some may even choose to read during this time by the end of the year.



Science with Mrs. Smith is starting on light and shadows. I am eager to see what fun labs she does with the kids.

For our character education time today, the kids practiced sitting with a partner and speaking/listening. I gave a prompt and they took turns. It's evident that this is something they have practiced before, because they were good at it.



In math, I was trying to get in a few more individual assessments while the rest of the class played some math games. Not ideal, but we do what we need to do.


And we ended the day with a fantastic photo of the kids and their toys!


No comments:

Post a Comment