Thursday, September 10, 2015

Thursday, September 10, 2015

It was so good to be back today. I really missed the kids yesterday!

I am so pleased with the way the kids are learning the SOS procedure for spelling a word. We practiced as a whole class for a bit, and later some kids practiced again.

The steps again: 1. Look and listen to the word, 2. Echo the word, 3. Say the sounds, 4. Name the letters and write the sounds, 5. Read the word

During ELA we tried a quick rotation that I hope becomes more efficient over the next 2-3 weeks. We had 3 rotations. During the first everyone reads. The next some read, some go to centers and some came to me. The last rotation was similar to the second, only kids switched around.




The best part? Really TEACHING the kids in a small group how to use sounds to read words. I can hardly wait to do it again tomorrow. THIS is why I LOVE teaching.

Mrs. Roux had 5 piglets delivered to school and some of us got to see them at lunch.



Math was practicing the "count on" method of adding. 5 + 3 = Do not count all, start at five and count on. By the time we were done, most had gotten it. :)

Then I got to teach another math center. It is putting numbers in order.


I cannot believe how good the kids are for math centers (2:30-3), but I think centers might be the BEST way to end the day.

Looking forward to a fun day tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment